Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Dr. Seuss "The Lorax" kindergarten 1st grade art lesson

 Dr. Seuss "The Lorax" elementary art lesson 






                                                        Here is my demonstration video.

I did this lesson for both kindergarten and 1st grade. I was so amazed at how everyone did such a great job! The top photo is kindergarten. 

I found on YouTube "Brightly Storytime" reading "The Lorax". It is around 18 minutes long. We watched the video and did a short discussion about the story. 

 I demonstrated how to draw short and long "Truffula" trees. Each student could pick a yellow or purple 12" x 18" piece of construction paper to draw their trees on.  They are pretty easy for kids to draw. I love using construction paper crayons on construction paper but because of COVID I had the kids use their own crayons. 

This took one, fifty minute class period. 

For the next class period I did a directed drawing lesson on how to draw the Lorax. I provided each student with a 6" x 4 1/2" piece of orange construction paper. I think it is easier if you have the kids draw a big long "M" for the mustache and then teach them to draw the top of the head and the bottom of the body like a bean shape. They traced the bodies and details with a black marker and then colored the mustache and eyebrows yellow. 





The last step was to cut out the Lorax and glue him to their forest! Some of my students needed help cutting out their Lorax but most of them could do it. 









They are so cute! 


No comments:

Post a Comment