Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

kindergarten textured alphabet painting

Jasper Johns Inspired textured Alphabet lesson 


I found this great lesson from the talented art teacher Cassie Stephens. You can find her original lesson here 


Here is a video of me teaching it. 

 I copied a grid onto 12" x 18" multi-media paper for each student on the copy machine.  Each paper contained 32 boxes. When the students copy they alphabet at the end of the lesson they will be allowed to add additional shapes to complete the boxes. 
We viewed many examples of Jasper Johns letters and alphabet paintings and then got straight to work. 
Students traced their grid with a neon oil pastel and then used rubbing plates to create textures in each box. 


After each box was completed they painted each box with watercolors to create an oil pastel resist. 



This was pre COVID and when the kids were allowed to have art in the art room. I started this lesson right before COVID hit so the kiddos didn't get to finish them. 
This year with my kindergarteners we used crayons to rub the textures in each box. I can now have one class come to the art room every day so the kiddos did the rubbings in their classrooms and when they came to the art room they added watercolors and instead of using paint daubers they used black paint sticks. The paint sticks worked better on the wet paper. 

Thanks Cassie for the great idea! 


No comments:

Post a Comment