Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Friday, December 6, 2019

1st grade Frida Kahlo still life collage

1st grade Frida Kahlo Still  life Collage

I changed it a bit to fit with my students introduction to Frida Kahlo.

On the first day we watched a couple short videos on Frida Kahlo. I found two  that are very short and school friendly. You can find them here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfbLR15Bh74
We examined her many still life paintings and then got to work. 

1st graders were to think of the  kind of fruit or vegetables they wanted to have in their still life paintings. They were provided with 4, 6" x 9" pieces of multi-media paper, tempera paint and various tools to create textures in their paintings. 
Students were to paint the entire papers with the colors they wanted and then create a texture in the paint using various supplies such as paint combs, bottle stoppers and kitchen scrubbers. 


This took one, fifty minute class period (and we were rushing). 
For the next class we discussed the shapes of various fruits and vegetables and how to draw to save paper.




I provided patterns for students to trace to make a basket and step by step directions on how to make the weaving pattern on the board.

Students could share their painted papers if they decided they wanted a different color of fruit or vegetable.

This actually took two, fifty  minute class periods. 
I love how they turned out!
































No comments:

Post a Comment