Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Andy Warhol complementary colored hand prints

Andy Warhol complementary colors
  1st grade

I found this idea from http://aschukei.blogspot.com/2014/04/kindergarten-andy-warhol-pop-art-hands.html. I did change it a bit to fit the needs of my first graders. 
Children love pop art. I introduced the children to Andy Warhol's Campbell's soup cans, coke cans and his celebrity paintings. Of course many of them didn't know who Marilyn Monroe was but they recognized the soup and coke cans. I also have some children's books about Andy Warhol available for the kids to look at in my art library in the classroom. When students are finished with their art projects they can visit my art library. 



We discussed complementary colors and I found a couple of videos on YouTube for the kids to watch (they were only a couple of minutes). 

After our discussion we folded our paper into six sections. Students then traced their hand with a pencil in each box. 


 Students then began to paint the primary and secondary colors (I used tempera paint) around their hands. This took part of the lesson was fifty minutes.



 On Day two, students painted the inside of their hands with its complementary color. 



I think the parents will love this project. Anything with  a hand print is always a hit. 






No comments:

Post a Comment