Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Aboriginal dot 4th grade art lesson

 Aboriginal dot art 4th grade art lesson 

Student example (Millie's)
A while back I was blessed to go to Australia. I bought a beautiful Aboriginal painting and decided to teach about the art to my students. 
This is the painting I bought. Don't you love the colors?! 
On the first day of art class we discussed some facts about Australia and I showed them some photos of my trip (especially the one of me feeding the kangaroos!). I provided students with  a handout I found on line on some silhouettes of Australian animals  (sorry I can't remember where) and they drew their animal on a piece of 6" x 4 1/2" piece of construction paper of their choice. If they didn't want to draw an Australian animal they could do their favorite animal. The next step was to glue it on the middle of a 12" x 9" black construction paper. 
 

My 4th graders took a piece of white chalk and drew lines around their animal or they made paths of some kind radiating from it.  Students then took fine point paint bottles and squeezed dots on the paths they made. I'm not sure what would have been faster this method or the method of dipping an instrument like the end of a paint brush into paint and making dots that way. My students love using these bottles. This lesson took three class periods. I love the results! 






No comments:

Post a Comment