Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Monday, November 6, 2023

1st grade scarecrows art lesson

 1st Grade scarecrow art lesson 

This lesson was inspired by the book "The Scarecrow" by Beth Ferry. There are so many books available about scarecrows so take your pick! I saw this lesson on Elementary Art Fun blog and changed it a bit. 

I provided a pattern for the scarecrows face. Providing a pattern for the face helps this age have a starting point on how big to make their scarecrow. 
My 1st graders were encouraged to draw a hat and decorate the scarecrows clothes. Many of the students added crows and corn to their drawings. They were then to outline their drawings with a black marker and color it with oil pastels. 

We discussed how to blend the colors using a small rolled up piece of paper towel. 
Students colored the sky with liquid watercolors. 

I found some old shredded paper so students used it as straw and glued it around their scarecrow's sleeves and hat. Pretty good for 1st graders!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment