Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Charlie Harper Seals kindergarten art lesson

Kindergarten Charlie Harper Seals 

I'm still teaching on a cart because of COVID. I've picked my brain for messy free art projects and this is one I came up with. Our school is around 30 miles north of Cincinnati where Charlie Harper lived and taught. We have murals around the city in his honor. Hopefully the kids will recognize his art when they are out in the community after this lesson! Here is my demonstration video.
 

This is the inspiration print.
I actually came up with the idea while looking at this board book I bought for my class. I use mostly art board books for my students because I like the simple words for their reading level and they hold up better in the art room (well, when we return!). 
This lesson took one, fifty minute class period. 

I provided each student with a 12" x 9" piece of drawing paper with two circles printed on them. We did a step by step tutorial of how to draw the face on the smaller circle. They cut them out and glued them together.
My kindergarteners used a white oil pastel and drew any kind of lines they wanted for the water on a piece of 12" x 18" construction paper. 
They used their left over scraps to make ice bergs and flippers for their seals. 

I think they are pretty cute. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment