Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Organic free form monsters kindergarten lesson

Organic shaped monsters

I saw this lesson on "We heart art" blog. Here is the address https://ourartlately.blogspot.com/2011/09/organic-shape-monsters.html?
 I read the book "Jeremy Draws a Monster" by Peter McCarty. If you don't have the book you can find it on You Tube. 
We made predictions about what would happen in the story and if any of us had any connections to Jeremy (Jeremy lives in an apartment). Any time I read books to the students I revert back to my days as a classroom teacher. 
After the story, we discussed the difference between geometric and organic or free form shapes in the classroom. I gave them several examples and they had to identify if it was either a geometric or organic shape. 
After this lesson I gave each student a piece of yarn for them to place on their 12" x 9" drawing paper. Thanks for the idea from the "We heart art" blog. Students traced the outside of the yarn with a pencil and then added features to make it into a monster. 

They could add a body and various body parts to complete the creature. 

Students then traced the monster with a fine tipped permanent marker and colored them with crayons.


We reviewed how to use good craftsmanship in our coloring skills (use all the white spaces and color in the same direction).  They turned out so cute!!!























No comments:

Post a Comment