Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Fall Moon landscape 1st grade art lesson

Fall Moon landscapes

Here is another great idea I found on a blog. You can check it out here Create Art With Me blog  I just added some art history and science. 
Thanks for the idea! 
I started off the lesson with summarizing the books "The Moon" by Seymour Simon and "Our Stars". They are age appropriate for 1st graders. You can also find great YouTube videos that are age appropriate to show the kids. I was surprised to find out how much some of my 1st graders already knew about the moon. 
 Students then took a coffee filter and drew craters with a washable black marker. I gave them copier paper for them to do this on. They put their name on these so they didn't have to put their name on the coffee filter. 1st graders then sprayed them with water and laid them on the drying rack.




Since this part of the lesson didn't take long, I explained to students that we would be making them into Fall landscapes. I showed them several examples of landscapes with moons by Monet and Van Gogh (and discussed the difference between seascapes and landscapes). 


The next  art class we cut the bottom of the moon off and assembled them into fall landscapes using oil pastels. 






Again thanks for the idea from the "Create Art With Me" blog. 












No comments:

Post a Comment