Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Monday, November 23, 2020

Alexander Calder 1st grade sculptures

 Alexander Calder 1st grade sculptures 

My 1st graders absolutely loved this lesson!!! 


We looked at his many sculptures and mobiles on line and watched a video of him performing his famous "circus" on YouTube. 
Untitled, 1937 
Tate Museum of Art, Britain 

I also summarized the book " Sandy's Circus" by Tanya Lee Stone. 

My first graders picked four pipe cleaners and wrapped one around three of them to form a tree shape. 
They were allowed to add beads to the "branches" and lastly they stuck it in a pack of model magic. 





Some of the students added markers to the "Model Magic" which made a neat color combination! 













When the model magic was hard they were allowed to take them home. I also sent home a little note with them explaining the art project to the parents. Many of my kiddos couldn't remember the name "Alexander Calder"! 








No comments:

Post a Comment