Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Monday, October 28, 2019

Mouse paint kindergarten art lesson

Mouse paint

Kindergarten is such a challenge for the beginning of the year. I found this lesson on Pinterest. I just adjusted it to fit the needs of my kiddos. 
On the first day I played the video on YouTube of Sesame Street titled "Primary Colors". It's only 1:30 minutes long. It has a very catchy tune that the kids will enjoy singing. We also read the book "Mouse Paint" by Ellen Walsh. If you don't have a copy you can always find someone on You Tube reading it. 
I provided each student with a 9" x 12" piece of multi-media paper with six ovals printed on them. 
I went around the room and put small spoonfuls of each of the primary colors on the appropriate ovals and then the students mixed the paint with a finger. They were instructed to wipe their fingers off onto the newspapers covering their tables. When they completed all of mixing the colors then they could wash their hands.

Some students did a great job of mixing their colors and staying into the appropriate oval, others got a little carried away and mixed a couple together. I wasn't to concerned since this was the first time many students had experienced finger painting. I wanted them to experience the excitement of discovering how to make the secondary colors but some experienced how to make brown instead! 
On day two students cut out their ovals, glued them onto a 12" x 18" drawing paper and made them into mice using markers.







No comments:

Post a Comment