Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Monday, October 28, 2019

Kindergarten Starry Night Owls

Kindergarten Starry Night Owls
You can watch my demonstration videos below. Sorry I couldn't find my finger painting video! 


                                             Part one. I don't know why it seems like I am yelling!

                                                                             Part two.
On the first day of the project we discussed Van Gogh's Starry Night. 
Students then finger painted their version of the painting on 12" x 18" multi-media paper using blue and purple finger paint. We painted it vertically since we would be gluing an owl in the middle. We discussed the wind, the village and of course the stars. 




All kids need to experience finger painting! Yes it's a lot of work but the kids love it. Cover your tables with newspaper and then I went around to each student and gave them a spoon full of purple and blue paint to mix. This took one fifty minute class period. 
On the second day I instructed students on how to draw an owl from the letter "U". They traced them with a black marker and colored them with neon oil pastels. We talked a lot about using good craftsmanship (coloring all the spaces) and doing our best. 




On day three students finished coloring their owls and cut them out. I have found if I teach them to concentrate on just cutting off the white paper then they are less likely to cut off the feet and ears. Works like a charm (well most of the kids it does!).  

Students glued a tree branch about midway down the paper and then their owl on top. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment