Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Thursday, March 7, 2019

1st grade Matisse still life collages

Matisse Still Life Collages

Children love Henri Matisse. His vibrant colors and cut paper collages are beautiful and kid friendly. I found this great idea from https://wilderpaintsplatters.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/marvelous-matisse-cut-outs/. It was a lot of work for my 1st graders but they had fun creating it. This art project is based on his painting titled "The Goldfish".


On the first day students painted a 12" x 18" piece of multi-media paper with three colors of tempera paint. We used rulers to mark off the room.






On the second day students painted a 6" x 9" piece of multi-media paper with liquid watercolors and then quickly placed a piece of plastic wrap on top to create the watery texture. This would be the paper they used for the fish bowl.  My first group of students used a 12" x 9" piece of paper but I found it to be to big for their fish bowls. Students need to do this part of the project quickly before the paint dries.



 Since I have fifty minute class periods students had time to create the paper cut-outs for their room. We discussed organic shapes and I taught them how to cut spirals. They loved this!







On the last day I taught students how to fold their watercolor papers in half and draw half of a fish bowl. I provided patterns for them to trace for their table and scraps of paper for goldfish and leaves.


And the finished products!! 









































No comments:

Post a Comment