Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

abstract tree mural 1st grade art project

Abstract tree mural 1st grade



I wanted to do a mural that could be displayed all year in the school with my first graders. Using tempera paint with first graders was a little risky for me so I came up with another idea. I saw a similar design on coloruswell.com. An artist named John DeFaro drew a tree on a poster for students during a workshop and then provided swirly designs for them to color.
I painted a tree in our school hallway. In the art room we discussed designs and patterns in art. Students were provided a circle to decorate (I printed these on card stock). 
They used black permanent markers to outline their designs and then used color sticks (made by crayola) to color them.








Using heavy duty masking tape we stuck them to the tree.  Hopefully it stays  up all year! Next year I plan on removing the circles and having the next 1st grade classes make a new design (maybe birds?). Our first graders go  to another building when they graduate to the second grade.









No comments:

Post a Comment