Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Stuart Davis inspired city lesson kindergarten

Kindergarten art lesson 
Stuart Davis Inspired City 
I found this idea on the blog, kids-finelines.blogspot.com. Being a former kindergarten teacher I found a great book to go along with the lesson. I read the book "City Sounds" by Rebecca Emberley.  We talked about the text in the story and all the sounds a city can make. I then showed the art of Stuart Davis and we discussed how he also put text in his paintings.




This took two, 50 minute class periods. The first day I handed out the roads and the students added lines down the middle. They then added rectangles for buildings and added doors and windows.

On day two, we added another building, made cars and more details to the buildings. I printed circles on construction paper so it made it easier for the children to cut them out. Finely I gave them a strip of sound words for them to cut and glue onto their collage. We sounded out the words and then they determined where to put them. This was a good time to review the book and what kind of sounds the author used in her story.   


















No comments:

Post a Comment