Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

1st grade Kandinsky's concentric circles

Kandinsky 1st grade lesson
My first graders really loved this lesson. We first viewed Kandinsky's Concentric Circles painting and discussed what feelings he may have had while painting this. I explain to the children that he was influenced a great deal by music and many of his paintings that he thought were good were named like a piece of music. 
"The Noisy Paint Box" is a great book to read to your students if you have time. 

I showed the students how to fold their 12" x 18" watercolor paper into eight sections. We then reviewed colors and what colors we thought we might use when we heard fast and slow music. 
I then played various classical music tunes and the children were then to pick what oil pastel colors they felt fit the music while listening.  They were to start with a small circle and then change colors as they went around it. 



On the second day students blended sections of their circles and then picked bright watercolors to paint over them. 
The paintings were stunning and it was a great way to connect classical music to visual arts! 




















No comments:

Post a Comment