Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Monday, September 17, 2018

Mouse paint kindergarten finger painting lesson

Finger painting Mouse collage

I think it is so important to allow children to experience finger painting. With only two sinks and 25 students per class I have to be creative on allowing all my students to engage in this and not go crazy! I decided we were actually just going to use one finger!
This lesson is based on the book "Mouse Paint"  by Ellen Walsh. If you don't have the book you can find someone reading it on YouTube. This lesson has been used for years, so I'm not sure where the original idea came from. 
On the first day I provided 12" x 9" multi media pieces of paper with the mouse shapes and color words already copied onto them. My student teacher (thanks for the idea Brandy) from a couple of years ago did this lesson with the kiddos but I wanted to change it to a finger painting lesson. 

After discussing the primary and secondary colors students got to work. I gave each student a drop of each of the primary colors and then they mixed on each section. Students wiped their fingers on the newspapers on the tables in between mixing the colors. When they were finished with all the colors they were then allowed to wash their hands at the sinks.






 On the second day students cut out the mouse shapes, glued them to a piece of black construction paper and added details with oil pastels to make them into mice.

Yes they are a little crafty, but my goal was for the students to practice their cutting skills and to make colors.














No comments:

Post a Comment