Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Friday, September 7, 2018

All for Art fundraiser

All For Art Fundraiser
I started three years ago a campaign to buy art for our school. I think it is important for students to view original art and meet various artists of our community. We view and discuss various artists in my art room but they are all copies. Now that we have started buying art for our school, students can actually view original pieces of art. 
Our fundraiser begins in April and runs for two weeks. We have a contest to see what class brings in the most money. I ask students to bring in change (and dollars if they can). 

Our first year the children earned enough money to buy a painting from the artist Susan Mahan from Cincinnati. She is known for her beautiful collage art. You can see more of her work here http://susanmahan.com/
I let the students vote on which painting they wanted to buy and then invited the artist to our school for a big unveiling. I typed up questions for eight students to read to Susan during the assembly. 
Here she is!
The second year we bought one of  Shannon Godby's paintings. You can see more of his work here at his website http://shannongodby.com/


The class that brought in the most funds got to paint our principal!

 She is such a good sport!

For the school year 2017-2018 (our third year of doing this) the students earned enough money to buy two paintings. The students picked Carol McConnell's and Ken Swinson's art (both from the Cincinnati  area). 


Ken's website is here https://www.kenswinson.com/site/

I purchased plates to go underneath them. 


The winning classes got to slime our principal!
Here is our little gallery. It's in the cafeteria for the students to enjoy every day.

Stay turned to see what we buy the next school year! 













No comments:

Post a Comment