Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Thursday, September 6, 2018

1st grade color mixing with watercolors

1st grade watercolor mixing
I wanted my first graders to jump right in on their first day of art and make an easy project. My first graders are returning from all day kindergarten at my district so they are familiar with the art routine and various art medias and techniques.
I  began the lesson on discussing the color wheel and having the children reviewing the primary and secondary colors. We discussed how to mix primary colors to make secondary colors and then I demonstrated how to trace a cup onto a 12" x 18" multi media white piece of paper. Students were instructed on how to trace the cup with a black marker and to  overlap two circles. I referenced a Venn Diagram while demonstrating.


  Students watched a short video on lines on YouTube called "The Line Song" by Scratch Garden. It's really short (about 2 minutes).  This was review from last year. They then added any kind of  line they wanted to their drawings.


The next step was to paint the primary colors onto the circles and mix the centers to make secondary colors. 









This took one 50 minute class period.
The last part was to paint the background or empty spaces (the negative space) using only the secondary colors.
On my computer the background purple on these paintings appear to be blue. Hopefully on yours it appears purple! 

































No comments:

Post a Comment