Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Matisse Inspired still life collage 1st grade art

Matisse Inspired Still Life collage

I combined two art projects I found on Pinterest and then changed it to fit my needs. One was from doartimagineexplorecreate.blogspot and the other was from Artsonia. 
I introduced the lesson by showing various pots and vases from around the world. We discussed the patterns and designs and then the purpose they were used for. 
Students folded a 12" x 9"  piece of construction paper vertically. I showed them various ways to make vases and then let them design their own. Before I allowed them to cut I checked each one. In every class it seems someone always draws the vase on the opened part of the paper. Once I had given them the okay then they were allowed to cut.

Students then took cardboard rectangles and cork stoppers and printed patterns on their vases. I only provided white and black paint. 



On day two I introduced the students to Henri Matisse's still life of flowers. 
Students then picked a piece of construction paper and divided it into four sections. They used construction paper crayons and created patterns in each box. 



Students then glued their vase towards the bottom of their paper and created flowers. We used a green oil pastel to make the stems and then used tissue paper to make the flowers. They traced the vases with a black oil pastel to make them "pop".

No two were the same. This took two, 50 minute class periods. 








No comments:

Post a Comment