Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

kindergarten self portrait puzzle pieces

Kindergarten self portrait puzzle pieces

I purchased these Royloc Puzzle Quilt pieces from an art catalog company.They were around $10 for 32 pieces.
Each student received one puzzle piece. We discussed the front and back of the puzzle and determined to put our names on the smooth side.
I then went around the room and placed their puzzle pieces in the right direction so that when we put the puzzle together everyone's faces would be facing in the same direction and no one would be upside down.
I had students draw a big oval in the air a couple of times so we could practice drawing an oval on a puzzle piece (we didn't want them small!).
Students then drew an oval on their puzzle piece, shoulders and then the details.
Lastly we traced them with a fine tip black marker and colored them with crayons.


I showed the book "The Color of Us" by Karen Katz on YouTube since I don't own a copy. We discussed our skin colors and how we are all different. I provided multicultural colored crayons for students to color their skin.
The children loved putting the puzzle together. I gave the puzzle pieces to their classroom teachers so they could put them together in one of their learning stations.






























No comments:

Post a Comment