Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Monday, December 4, 2017

Bottle cap murals

Bottle cap murals
I had my school start collecting bottle caps around September and then I put a halt to it at the end of November. We ended up with 1000's of bottle caps!

 I believe the kids loved collecting and sorting them. I was low on a few colors such as purple and pink but I ended up having enough of the other colors to suit my needs.
I first painted the treated lumber with acrylic paint of the characters. We are the Monroe Hornets so of course we had to have one be a bee!
My principal wanted a caterpillar on one so I painted  Eric Carle's "Hungry Caterpillar" on another one. 
I used wood glue and had each child glue two bottle caps on each mural. The wood glue didn't stick very well but it didn't matter since we were going to screw each bottle cap down. 









I had my husband and a family friend come in and screw all  the bottle caps in since they were going to be hung outside.  Yep, love family and friends!! I really don't think it takes away from the art. 

I had one board left(not as wide) so I bought DAP Dynaflex 230 caulking. This one will be hung indoors so we don't need to worry about screwing them in. This glue worked much better than the wood glue.




Her's was much bigger. Thanks for the idea Katie Morris! 



1 comment:

  1. We are collecting for a mural at my school now so this was great for me to see! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete