Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Wayne Thiebaud Value study 1st grade art

Wayne Thiebaud 1st grade art lesson
Yes, another idea I found on Pinterest! I just changed it a bit. You can find the original lesson plan here http://mrstsfirstgradeclass-jill.blogspot.ca/search/label/Colors. I believe she found the idea from We Heart Art.
On day one discussed "values" in art and defined the terms "shade" and "tint". I showed part of the video from YouTube "The Value Song" from Scratch Garden. It's perfect for 1st graders.
We then reviewed complementary colors. Students were then told that they could pick an ice cream flavor color and then it's complementary color which would be used for the background.
Quickly I gave each student a 12" x 18" piece of multi media paper. Students then mixed white paint and their color directly onto their papers (no waste of paper plates or containers to wash!).
Students then took a 12" x 9" white piece of multi media paper and folded it into fourths. Students then had a small paper plate with their color choice for their ice cream and painted the first box. On the second box I squirted a little white paint and had them mix it to make a tint color. The third box is where they made a shade of their color. I squirted a small amount of black paint into their box. On the last box, I squirted more black paint to make a darker shade. Again, no need to wash their brushes since they had their own paint and was only using one color. We worked very quickly to get both pieces painted. This was completed in one 50 minute class period.




On day two, I showed several examples of Wayne Thiebaud's paintings of ice cream cones as well as his famous painting of "Cakes". I provided an ice cream pattern for students to trace on each section of their shades and tints papers. I also provided a triangle pattern for students to make the cone from brown construction paper. Students then drew lines on the cone to make it more realistic.



Students could then make a cherry from small pieces of red construction paper and add sequins for sprinkles. This is a great lesson to teach shades and tints. It may be a bit "crafty" but I think they all turned out differently.
























No comments:

Post a Comment