Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Piet Mondrian 1st grade art lesson

Piet Mondrian 1st grade art lesson



                                        Sorry for the odd angle video. I was just learning how to record! 

 I actually found this lesson on Artsonia. I couldn't find any directions so this is what I came up with. 
I read the book "Coppernickel Goes Mondrian" by Wouter Van Reek. I actually stopped through out the book and discussed how Mondrian moved to the city and was inspired by Jazz music. 
Students were then given blocks of primary colored construction paper to cut into different sizes of rectangles and squares. I only allowed them to start out with one of each primary color and then after they cut them they could add more if they needed to. 

After they arranged them, they glued them down and then printed black lines with the edge of a cardboard square. 


While they worked I played Jazz music. Students really loved working along to the same kind of music Mondrian was inspired by!


I have the CD Songs in the Key of Art that has a great song titled Mondrian. Greg Percy has a whole set of these with different songs about various elements of art and artists. 








No comments:

Post a Comment