Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Saturday, October 27, 2018

African Paper Masks 1st grade art lesson

African Paper Masks

Children love this lesson. I did this last year with my first graders but I had them add feathers and other art materials. Big mistake with my kiddos. I had them tape the raffia and feathers but  they had so much trouble with this part that I decided to scrap it and have this years kiddos just make the paper mask part.
We discussed masks from African and how they all have symmetry.
Students traced a paper mask pattern from Roylco on to their choice of colored construction paper (only natural colors).


Some of the kiddos needed help cutting out the eyes but most of them did okay.
The last part was to decorate them with oil pastels.













































No comments:

Post a Comment