Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Monday, February 6, 2017

Winter Birch tree collage 1st grade

Winter Birch Tree Collage

I got this great idea from http://adayinthelifeofthisartteacher.blogspot.com/2013/03/birds-and-birch-trees.html. She actually got the idea from "Deep Space Sparkle". 
The students loved this project. I showed them the book "Snowballs" by Lois Ehlert. Students of this age should be familiar with this children's author and illustrator. We discussed how we thought she created her illustrations. 


 I also showed them real photos of birch trees. We discussed the texture and what would be an easy way to create them. We took a piece of cardboard and dipped it into black paint and created the trees. 

Actually this was pretty easy for my 1st graders. 
We then took a 12" x 18" piece of multi media paper and created patterns in each box with crayons and painted over them with watercolors. This took two class periods. 
On the third day they cut  out their trees and glued them to their chose of sky colors. Funny how most of them picked the turquoise color. 

Students then made their  birds out of their patterned papers. Students could create their own birds or trace over a basic bird pattern. I found them on the blog "A Day in the Life of this Art Teacher". I don't like using patterns, but for this age sometimes it helps to offer them if they want them. They still look like their own birds with their own patterns. 
 Yes this little guy likes wearing his Spiderman gloves!

. I was surprised how long it took the students to make their birds. This took the entire 50 minute class period. 

This one won the Principal's award at my art show held in the Spring! 









The final step was to add snow. We used a white oil pastel. Next time I think I will encourage them to make branches. 



No comments:

Post a Comment