Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Monday, February 6, 2017

Kindergarten Jim Dine Heart Collages

Jim Dine Kindergarten Heart Collages
I found this idea on http://drawthelineat.blogspot.com/2013/01/colorful-heart-collage.html. I just changed it a bit. 
On the first day I showed students the many heart paintings by Jim Dine. I also showed the students the sculpture he created of Pinocchio that is outside the Cincinnati Art Museum. Our school is about thirty  miles from Cincinnati so I always like to show art around our community. Jim Dine was  born in Cincinnati so the children are excited to hear this. 
We then created our background using tissue paper squares and Mod Podge (you can also just use glue and water). The children love doing this because it is messy and different from what they are used to working with. I have brushes I only use for these activities, although soaking the brushes in hair conditioner softens them back up. 

On day two we discussed complementary colors. I  allowed students to pick two complementary colored 4 1/2" x 6" squares of cut construction paper. Step by step I showed the students how to make a heart on both pieces(we kept the papers together). This took awhile! Students then glued the pieces onto their tissue paper collages. 

Students decorated their hearts with oil pastels.  We reviewed various lines and how to make the hearts look like they have motion. I'm still not sure which ones I like better, the ones where they just used black or where their used multiple colors. 


The children loved their collages and were so proud of them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment