Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Classroom management for the art room

One of the incentives I give my students in art class is the opportunity to earn a star for their classroom. Students have to have all green on the "Be Art Smart" chart. I made magnets with little faces on them. Green is good (happy face), yellow is a try harder (straight face) and red is an uh'oh (sad face).  When the class earns ten stars then the class earns a free day. I found this system here. http://www.mpmschoolsupplies.com/ideas/2713/behavior-management-strategies-visible-goals-daily-evaluations/ . I changed it a little from their system.


I like free days as well because those students who haven't finished other art work have to do it during their free day.

I give the students a variety of things to work with on their free day such as play dough, stencils, learn how to draw cartoon books, art building toys, art matching games, a box of scrapes so they can make whatever they want etc.
When I have a student who is very difficult I send home a letter. You can see it here. 




If I don't get the letter back from the student then I e-mail or call the parent.  Their classroom teacher will appreciate this as well, because they probably have similar problems with the child in their own classroom. 
I also have a student desk beside my desk. I have a couple of students who have trouble concentrating at their table so they sit here to help eliminate classroom distractions. I tell them it isn't a punishment, it just helps them to concentrate better away from everyone. After I have introduced the lesson, usually they can go back to their original seat and get to work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment