Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Picasso self portraits 1st grade lesson

Picasso Cubism Self Portraits 1st grade

There are some great you tube videos on the life of Pablo Picasso. I found a couple that were age appropriate and only five minutes long. My favorite is the Pablo Picasso: Cubist art lesson. I also have children books on Picasso that I have in our classroom library for children to read.
 Yes, some of the children's books on Picasso are advanced for my 1st graders but  they can still enjoy looking at the pictures.
I like this painting by Picasso because it is of his daughter. http://www.pablopicasso.org/

After we watched the video and I showed them several examples of Picasso's portraits we got to work. Students drew an oval for a face and a neck. I reminded them to draw a neck that would be able to hold their heads up. This was a review of our self portraits we had drawn at the beginning of the year. The next step was to add hair.

Students were allowed to pick three different colors of construction paper squares for their eyes and nose. I instructed them on how to draw a profile and frontal eye which lead into  a discussion of pupils and irises. My daughter who is an optometry student  would be so proud!



The kids had so much making these!
  Make sure you send home a note with the parents explaining this project when the children bring these home! 





I found this idea from The Artsy Fartsy art room blog. Thanks Kelsey!














No comments:

Post a Comment