Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Friday, May 20, 2016

1st grade Eric Carle butterflies

1st Grade Eric Carle Butterflies

1st graders reviewed the story of The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. At our district, the kindergartners do a unit on butterflies so this is  a review of the story. We focused on the colors he used and how he created the collages. I found a great you tube video. It's called 40 Years of the Very Hungry Caterpillar by Beyond Books. It's only five minutes long and it is a perfect introduction to the lesson. 
I provided two pieces of multi media 9" x 12" pieces of paper for each student. They were told to put their  names on their papers before they were allowed to get started. 
I  then allowed the children to use any of the materials I set out to create their painted papers. 


They were told to do a paper with warm colors and then the other paper with cool colors. 








On the next day of class students folded their paper in half to make butterfly wings. They were to do this on both papers. I checked each one before they could cut (someone always draws it on the opened part of the paper fold!). All the wings turned out differently.


Students then colored their background papers and assembled their butterflies. They used a black oil pastel to make the bodies. My first graders love bingo daubers so I put them out again if they wanted to put more dots on their butterflies. Some students used them to make bugs and flowers. They could also use tissue paper to make any additional flowers or details on their butterflies. 























The kids loved this project. All the butterflies turned out so differently. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment