Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Paper masks kindergarten


This is a great lesson to introduce around the Mardi Gras season. I purchased these paper masks from an art supply store.  They are around $5 for a pack of 50! I have a collection of masks from my travels so this is one of my favorite things to teach. 
We discussed the term "symmetry" and pointed out where we saw this in my masks. I also showed them several examples of symmetry in butterflies and moths. Boy, were students excited to get started!


Students colored their masks with colored markers. If they wanted they could add glitter and feathers. 

I had trays with paper so the students could independently put their glue on their masks and sprinkle the glitter on. Each color of glitter had it's own tray. Students were only allowed to  chose one color of glitter. Its kindergarten! 


On the next day, students glued a colored craft stick to the back and or feathers. 










Since teaching this for many years, I only like to purchase the simple masks as purchased above. The more elaborate the masks are, the harder they are to punch out. 


                                               This is my updated version of teaching the lesson. 


No comments:

Post a Comment