Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Friday, February 26, 2016

Burton Morris Valentine Collages 1st grade

1st grade Burton Morris Valentine Collage
I started the lesson by introducing pop art and showing the students several examples. We discussed Andy Warhol's art and then Burton Morris' art and compared the two. Since it is the week of Valentine's Day I thought we could take inspiration from his Valentine art and create a collage.
The students received a  9" x 12" black piece of construction paper for their background. They then chose any colored 9: x 12" piece of construction paper. This was where they cut the edges in a wavy pattern or jagged edge. I referred to this piece as their rug.
The next step is where we reviewed how to make a heart. Each student received a 9" x 6" red piece of construction paper . I instructed them to fold their paper like they were making a card and then demonstrated how to make half a heart, stressing to them to draw on the fold! I did not let any of them cut their heart out until I checked all their papers. 
Students glued their hearts onto their rugs and then were given freedom to create more hearts out of smaller cuts of paper. White squares were provided so students could cut highlights for their hearts.



 The last step was to trace everything with a black permanent marker. We referred back to Burton Morris's hearts for inspiration. 


My idea for this lesson came from the kidsartists.blogspot. 







1 comment: