Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

leaf prints kindergarten

Kindergarten Leaf Prints

I have kindergartners for 50 minutes. As many as you know it takes them a while to get their supplies out and clean up so that gives us plenty of time to do  art .
In their classroom they are talking about Fall and the changing leaves. We discussed why leaves change colors  in the fall and what veins are.  I shared some Fall books with various types of leaves in them. I like the book Autumn Leaves by Ken Robbins. The photos are very vivid and the text is easy to read. Some classes had time to collect leaves when they went to the playground. I had some available if the teachers didn't have time. Use fresh leaves.
I find it best to have the tables covered in newspapers before they come to class. Students then paint the leaves using tempera cakes.  Remind them  to paint the "bumpy" side and  to use paint on the thicker side. Press the leaves down-don't rub.
This project was all about the process, although many turned out nice. This took about two 50 minute class periods. We did have time at the end of the classes to do a brain break. I use GoNoodle.com. It is free for teachers and the students love the quick exercises. Most are only 3  minutes long.






















No comments:

Post a Comment