Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Wild Things 1st grade


Wild Things 1st grade art lesson





My demonstration video. This is one of my very first videos so I was just learning how to record. 

This is one of my favorite projects and the kids love it. I saw a lesson similar to this on http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/. I just changed it a bit. 
I showed the ebook Where the Wild Things Are on youtube.com. We talked about the various ways Maurice Sendak came up with the ideas for his Wild Things. We looked at the textures and discussed how we could create the textures in our art. 
The children drew half of a monster on a folded piece of paper in pencil. I went around and checked the students papers because  some children had difficulty with this concept. This was a good time to discuss symmetry After they were given the okay from me they traced their monster with a black crayon. 

The children then folded their paper over so the monster was inside their paper. They took  a penny and rubbed the crayon side. I keep pennies in little jars for each table. Yes, some children steal them thus why I don't use quarters! Make sure to tell them to use the penny sideways. 
After they rubbed the crayon side they opened it back up and traced over it. They were so amazed at this!
Students then took rubbing plates and used the side of crayons without the paper. I soaked the crayons in water to get the paper to come off. They also had to decide what kind of environment their monster lived in. 

Students were so excited about their Wild Things that they wanted to write about them in their classroom!






















No comments:

Post a Comment