Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Self Portraits 1st grade

Self Portraits in 1st Grade
This is the project I used for my Square 1 Art fundraiser. 
1st graders viewed Van Gogh's many self portraits. They loved learning about the many careers he explored before becoming an artist. I read the book Van Gogh (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists) by Mike Venezia to the children. We discussed how his portraits took up most of the space and how he painted his backgrounds. 


I gave the students an oval pattern for their head. I have found in the past if I have them draw their own oval they tend to be too small for the paper provided by Square 1 Art. They have to be good so the parents will buy a product right? 

We then discuss where to put the eyes, nose, mouth, ears and shoulders. I always have to remind the children to loosen up so they can sketch. We always say Draw light till you get it right! 

They trace everything with a black sharpie and color with color sticks. These are colored pencils without the wood casing. The colors are very vivid and bold. I love these. 

I provide mirrors for the children to use. They are two way mirrors and plastic so they are perfect for this age. The students are so excited to use these! 





















No comments:

Post a Comment