Please hang tight while I reload all the photos back.

My photo
I currently work at Davenport A+ Elementary School in Lenoir, NC.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Rainbow caterpillar kindergarten art lesson

Rainbow Caterpillar kindergarten art lesson 

I found this great idea from http://mrsjacksonartbd.weebly.com/kindergarten1.html. I just changed it a bit. It looks a little crafty but I wanted the children to review patterns  and they needed more practice with cutting. 


                 In my video I had the children use brown construction paper for the tree branch and green paper to make leaves. I made the video during COVID and I was on a cart. 

On day one the children painted a branch with leaves using tempera paint. I  put a paper plate with paint on each table so I could just toss them after class. Some classes used tan paper and some used white paper. 

On the second day we added the circles in rainbow order. I actually printed circles on construction paper and cut them in squares for the children. Students used sticker eyes for the head and added mouths and antennas with a black sharpie. Kindergarteners then created various line patterns on each circle, cut them out, glued them to the head (making sure not to glue them right onto the branch) and then added legs. I gave a little lesson on how the legs should be facing the same way. 
This was a perfect lesson to do in the spring since all the kindergarten teachers do a unit on butterflies.






This little guy was absent on the day we painted the branches so he quickly drew one on his paper with a marker.  

No comments:

Post a Comment